Thursday, October 4, 2012

Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller

Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller by Joseph Lambert (2012)

I was really impressed by this biography of Annie Sullivan, teacher and life long friend of Helen Keller. I think I'm not alone in that my main impression of Sullivan comes from Anne Bancroft's portrayal of Sullivan in The Miracle Worker, but I really didn't know Sullivan's background. This book takes the reader back and forth in time from Sullivan's own miserable childhood, part of which was spent in an almshouse in Massachussettes, to her time with Helen. One of the great strengths of this book is the way Lambert depicts what it might have looked like in Helen's mind as she became more connected with the world, with the panels going from mostly black to filled with shapes and words as she learns to communicate, with Annie's help. I don't want to waste time describing the panels because really, you should just check the book out and see for yourself.

This book is part of the Center for Cartoon Studies series of biographies (if you click on the link you can see some samples from this book). I've read the Henry David Thoreau and Houdini biographies, which were excellent, and plan to read the Amelia Earhart bio next. I highly recommend these beautiful and interesting books.

No comments:

Post a Comment