Monday, September 30, 2013

So You Want to Read...Comfort Books

Fall is here, Gentle Readers! It's properly Sweater Weather in my neck of the woods, perfectly coinciding with my first paycheck from the new job, so I bought a couple snuggly cardigans. It's also time to knit and sew and drink tea and read comforting books.

This is the time of year when I want to snuggle into a story and wrap myself up in plot. Sometimes, there will be romance and smooching in my comfort reads, sometimes action, but for me, comfort books are books I close with a satisfied sigh, books that, when I finish the story, I have a big stupid grin on my face for the rest of the day.

Top on my list of comfort reads is the Alanna series by Tamora Pierce. I've waxed poetic (and not so poetic) about these books for years, so if you haven't read them by now, get thee to a library or bookstore and get reading! I used one of Pierce's short stories from Tortall and Other Lands in my creative writing class the other day, and my new favorite student, a nice young lad, told me he'd read all of the Tortall books. Big. Stupid. Grin.

Another perennially comforting book series is the Calvin and Hobbes collections by Bill Watterson. I wish I had the big, three-volume complete collection. Maybe I'll treat myself to that for my birthday. Regardless, we have a few collections lying around the house, and there are few more perfect works of art in the world than Calvin and Hobbes comics.


I'm long overdue for a re-reading of the Harry Potter series, and I adore the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (I'm using one of the short stories by Wrede in my creative writing class). I read the Enchanted Forest books last fall when I was desperately sick with a chest cold. I have no major assignments to grade in the next week, so I'm thinking it's time to visit Cimorene and company. And I need to re-read Harry Potter to prepare for my visit to the Harry Potter Studio Tour next summer!

Pamela Dean's Tam Lin is also high up on my list of comfort reads. It's a strange little book, but I love to read it in the fall because so much of the action takes place during the chilly months of the year (it's set over four years at a small Midwestern university, so there isn't much going on during the summer). 

I got a few new craft books, and I'm most excited to try a few projects from the Storyland Cross Stitch book, with whimsical, fairy tale  based designs. And I'm knitting a few hats from books that I can't remember the names of at this moment. But they are awesome. The hats and the books. 

What are your comfort books/activities for Fall?

1 comment: