Friday, October 18, 2013

Not a Rant, A Tiny Little Whinge

It goes without saying (but I'm going to say it anyway) -- teaching is hard work! And going from working only 20 hours a week to nearly 60 in the space of a couple weeks has been a lot harder to manage than I thought. I am totally grateful to have a job I do love in an excellent school with fantabulous colleagues (I seriously win the colleague lotto in almost every job I've ever had). Going from 20 to 60 means I don't have to worry about choosing between putting fuel in my belly or in my car. And while I kind of wish. I had my own kids and family,  I am really glad I only had to worry about myself during the lean years. Although now that I am in a slightly better position, materially speaking, I can't imagine having the time to properly manage a family, too. I had a chat with some of my aforementioned fantabulous colleagues last night while we waited for parent visits during PT conferences. I mean, you make your life work (or don't, as the case may be) with what you have when you have it.

Which brings me to my bookish point. Lately, I've been lamenting the loss of time for creative endeavors like reading all the novels I want or mega movie marathons, just me, my couch, a stack of crime DVDs and a basketful of yarn. I spend hours grading and planning on the weekends (which I'd managed to forget I would do in the 5 years between this and my last teaching job). It's especially noticeable this time because of the huge shift in time commitment and because I'm now really cut off from the hugely supportive and creative peer group I built in Boise (email and FB are awesome, but it's not the same as a Saturday chat session at Dawson Taylors or beers at Bittercreek). I do have excellent friends here, but the time, man. I go to bed at, like, 9:30 these days. Even on weekends.

Anywhoosie, in the spirit of working with what. I have, when I have it, I'm working to put my creative outlets into my job. I volunteered to help with the new crochet/knitting club at school, even though it means I have to stay at school til 5 that night. I have a projects class, which is kind of a fake elective in that the kids don't get to choose who they have, but I can choose a fun curriculum. This trimester, we're doing a modified NaNoWriMo program. We started writing this week, and the stories these kiddos are writing are fantastic! Sure, some are hackneyed, some are obviously fanfic, and one is so good, I admit I googled to make sure it wasn't plagiarism. Next tri, I'm hoping to do a sci fi class (as the Language Arts teacher, I'm all writing, very little literature, which is fine, but I miss talking about books!), with a poetry class (maybe making chapbooks) in the spring. 

Which means I need some ideas for good poetry/sci fi for seventh graders. I'm almost thinking A Wrinkle in Time for the sci fi except I hate that book. Well,  I'll figure something out. In the mean time, I have a day off, thanks to late nights of PT conferences, so I'm gonna outline the. NaNo novel, go to the yarn store, and drink another cup of coffee. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm just getting into the joys of a good show (or even a mediocre one) combined with some knitting needles and yarn. :) I hope you can find some time for them soon. :)

    For seventh grade literature, how about The Dark Is Rising? I think we read that one in seventh grade, and I remember really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete